Physical activity is such an important part of your kid’s fitness plan after returning home from his or her weight loss camp and it is important to stay on track in the new year. In this day and age, it is much harder to stay physically active for weight loss. Children want to be entertained by electronics such as television, computers, video games, iPods, and cell phones. The key is to reduce screen time and make physical activity fun and lead by example by participating in physical activity with them. Here are a few ideas to get moving!
Visit the playground often
- Walk to places with your child instead of driving
- Take your child to the swimming pool or beach
- Kick around a soccer ball or shoot some hoops
- Get a bicycle and go on rides together
- Encourage games and sports with other kids
- Make physical activity imaginative- hop like a bunny or jump like a frog
- Run races together
- Build an obstacle course and encourage your child to use it
- Let your child do household chores that keep them active- like vacuuming or mowing the lawn
Of course, you may have to get a little creative during the winter when outdoor activities are limited, but definitely take advantage of the warmer days! What family activities do you participate in with your children to keep them active and healthy, to fight childhood obesity? We would love to hear your own ideas!
Written by Amanda Yazbek, Nutritionist at Camp Shane weight loss camp for children and teens