It is almost Halloween. The “trick” is to not overdo it with the “treats” during this holiday. To stay on track with your healthy lifestyle and weight loss goals learn how to still enjoy the treats with healthy moderation. Here are some tips to stay on track:
- Shop last minute. Put off buying Halloween candy until the night before or day of Halloween. Then you will be less tempted to dig into the treats earlier. Also, buy candy that you don’t like, so you are less likely to indulge – in between trick-or-treaters and with leftovers.
- Out of sight out of mind. Don’t leave a bowl of candy out on your desk at work or your counter in the kitchen. Other colleagues may not be as health conscious, and it’s easy to just pop a little candy in your mouth every time you walk by their stash. Try chewing a piece of gum to avoid the temptation. If you decide to have a piece of candy, that’s okay. A trick to monitor your treats so you don’t over indulge is to keep your empty wrappers. If you keep your empty wrappers it will remind you of how many you ate and motivate you to stop at one or two.
- Keep eating healthy. Make an extra effort to stick to your well-balanced diet. Your healthy diet will keep you satisfied rather than raiding the candy bowl.
- Exercise. A great time to get in some extra walking exercise is Halloween night by taking kids trick-or-treating.
- Don’t stress. Halloween is one single day of the year. Enjoy a treat. Keep up with your healthy lifestyle and enjoy treats in moderation.
Here is a nutritional breakdown of your favorite Halloween candy:
Article written by Julie Harrington, nutritionist at Shane Diet Resorts
Source for calorie counts: http://www.fitsugar.com/Calories-Halloween-Candy-Fun-Size-Treats-5452936