Stephen Pont, MD
Camp Shane’s Medical Advisor
of Childhood Obesity
- Dr. Pont is an expert on pediatric obesity.
- As a volunteer advisor to Camp Shane and a fan of our program, he advises on our weight loss, healthy, exercise, safety, food service and Cognitive Behavior programs.
- He is an industry leader and highly trusted source in regards to the most effective weight loss methods.
- Dr. Pont is a great resource to ensure that we consistently provide the best possible program to our campers.
Empowering Children and Families to Lead Healthy, Happy Lives
Dr. Pont is a general pediatrician and the medical director for the Texas Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity.
- The Center seeks to empower families to lead healthy lives by addressing key pillars such as clinical, education, advocacy and research.
- Dr. Pont works at the individual, community, state and national levels to reverse the childhood obesity epidemic, with many organizations including the Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas Department of Agriculture, National Association of Children’s Hospitals and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Dr. Pont is also part of a team at the UT_School of Public Health/Dell Center for Healthy Living and the USDA/Baylor College of Medicine that has been awarded a $6.3 million CDC grant to fund a demonstration project regarding childhood obesity.
- Dr. Pont currently serves as Chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Provisional Section on Obesity.
Dr. Pont utilizes print, radio and TV media to spread important health messages. He struggled with his weight as a child and so from a personal level also understands the need, importance, and challenge of making healthy choices daily to maintain good health. He enjoys working with Camp Shane and empowering families with the tools to live a healthy happy life.