From Meal Simple: The Camp Shane Cookbook
Temperatures drop and we all naturally crave comfort food. We’ve given this classic a healthy spin with whole wheat pasta, veggies and low-fat cheese. You and your family will love healthy recipes like this one!
Mac and Cheese with Chicken and Broccoli – Makes 6 Servings
– 1 cup (dry) whole wheat pasta
– 5 cups broccoli crowns chopped
– 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 onion, diced
– 1/2 cup white wine
– 3 cups skim milk
– 3 tbsp whole-wheat flour
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
– 1 tbsp brown mustard
– 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
– 12 ounces (about 3 chicken breasts) cooked grilled chicken, cubed
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli and cook an additional 3 minutes. Drain and return pasta and broccoli to pot.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
3. In a bowl, mix flour, milk, salt, pepper and mustard and add to pot with onion mixture. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened to desired consistency. Reduce heat to low and add cheese and chicken and continue to cook until cheese is melted and chicken is warmed.
4. Pour cheese mixture over pasta and broccoli and combine.
– Serving: 1 cup
– Calories: 286 kcal
– Fat: 6.1 g
– Carbs: 45.2 g
– Fiber: 6 g
– Protein: 34.1 g
Enjoy this comfort classic with your whole family!
The Camp Shane Team
LEARN | LAUGH | LOSE